Sunday, May 07, 2006

A Tedious Comparison

A Napoleon complex served up with a pat of smugness usually inhibits viewer acceptance. So imagine my surprise when realizing I agreed with NBA Commissioner David Stern.

Dan Patrick posed the question, "Do you believe that either Kobe Bryant or Lebron James is the next Michael Jordan?" As a reposte, "I know it can be fun for you guys to do, but this whole comparison to Michael Jordan is nothing if not tedious. I believe in judging a player's, or any person's, entire body of work. Until these guys have retired from the game and we can assess their entire body of work, this comparison is pointless and seems to indicate you guys may have run out of things to talk about. Sure, they are having some success at this point in their careers, but remember that Michael played 16 seasons. So I prefer not to entertain that comparison at this point in either of their careers. "

Fighting through the muddle of a good night's drinking, I tuned into the Sports Reporters on ESPN. Some twaddle about Kobe choking in the playoffs, again. Then, there it is, the comparison between Kobe Bryant, Lebron James and Michael Jordan. It's seriously becoming a cliche, and somnolent. I yawned, stretched, turned the television off, rolled over and turned my head to the pillow.

No comments: