Thursday, May 11, 2006

Gotta Get Ready

I suppose I should feel something. But I don't. I can't even muster up the energy to fake it. You know that fake thing you do when you see someone you could do without, but in the interest of good public relations you put on a "It's so good to see you" face? I couldn't find that. Nope. Nada. That's how much failing the bar moved me. Come to think of it, I don't do that face. Nevermind that.

I kept waiting for late onset of bitter disappointment or anger. It never came. Of course, the truth is I wasn't shocked. I knew I failed when I left the examination center. So this was nothing more than a formality. Confirming that I was right about at least one thing that day.

I'd just completed the short essay section of the exam, feeling pretty confident despite not having studied the topic of the first question. Then, I came to the Multistate Performance Test (MPT) section. I immediately felt as though I was playing the lead in a bad after school special. No idea what was going on. Flailing in my writing. Using throat clearing phrases like, "I should note here that it would be helpful to remember the fact that...."A clear sign that, at that moment, I couldn't find my ass with both hands and a tour guide. And just to make sure the neon sign reading, "UNPREPARED" was on and brightly lit? Yeah, I wrote "time" at the end of my answer to indicate that I had more to say, but, since I hadn't organized and planned well (the essence of being a good lawyer), I was out of time. Yep, probably made it pretty easy for them to flunk my ass. Incidentally, this section of the test is worth 40 percent of the first day's grade.

Well, despite what this may seem indicate, I do come fully assembled; brain included. I ordered a set of CD's from The Practising Law Institute covering the MPT. And tomorrow I'll break them out. The next crack at the Colorado Bar is July 25th and 26th. Approximately 10 weeks off. Gotta get ready.



Despite

No comments: