Monday, October 17, 2005

It's About That Time


It happens as I'm about to get in the shower. I catch a glance of myself in the bathroom mirror.
When did that happen? When did I get that "pooch" in my lower abdomen? Oh, that sucks. How long has that been there? I decide to take inventory when I get out of the shower.
Finished with my shower, I dry myself, grab some boxers and head for the measuring tape. What the...35"?! Next up: bodyfat percentage. Oh my, my, my..12.5. Sighing, I make my way back to the bathroom to weigh myself. I step on the scale, take a breath and look down. 214 pounds. Let's see 6'2" 214 pounds, and only 187 pounds of lean body mass.
When I'm in shape, my waist measures right at 31", I weigh around 200, and my bodyfat is usually between 7-9 percent. So that means that I am going to burn off a little over 11 pounds of fat to get to 7 percent. Crap. When did this happen? Don't answer that. It happened because I haven't consistently been in the gym since May. Damn, laziness will get your ass everytime. I guess there is no point in entertaining ghosts of sloth past. Get busy.
Dropping bodyfat is a three part puzzle. Let's deal with the first part: Weight training. I plan to work one body part per day. It should look something like this: Monday-Chest, Tuesday --back, Wednesday--shoulders, Thursday--arms, and Friday--legs. The second component: Cardio. I will perform between 30 and 45 minutes of cardio six days a week. And now for the part that hurts the most: diet. Damn. I guess there is no point in crying about. Just make it happen. Okay, here we go.
I have to be sure to eat enough to fuel my workouts, but I have to reduce my calories enough to create a deficit. So I plan to take in 2780 calories a day. That should do it. I'll adjust as necessary.

Well, that's the plan. Check back daily and go on the ride with me. It's going to be a challenge, but I'll get through it.

No comments: