Sunday, June 18, 2006

Safeway

I'm not sure whether to laugh or boycott. About the only thing I'm certain of is that whoever thought accosting your customers about a donation to prostate cancer research--every fucking time they shop at your store--was a good idea, needs a vicious caning.

Last time I looked, the Vatican of Madison Avenue thought your shopping experience should be comfortable, convenient and easy. Most importantly, in the interest of branding, your store shouldn't be associated with any life-threatening, body-ravaging diseases like, well, cancer. Apparently, Safeway didn't get the memo.

For the past few weeks, each and every time Samantha and I have done the grocery shopping we've been greeted with, " Would you like to donate a dollar to prostate cancer research?" Seriously, if it's all the same to you, I'd prefer not to be reminded of my own mortality each time I do some grocery shopping. I rather not think about a gland that may go off its meds and kill me. I just wanted a quart of milk and some oatmeal. Hell, nevermind that. I don't want to think about the prostate exam. Just picking up some fruit and some veggies to make a salad.

I swear. The Safeway name and logo has become synonymous with intrusive exams, pain, wills, death, painful surgeries, and Draconian treatments to my mind. In this age of branding and marketing, the Safeway shareholders have reason for concern.

No comments: