Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Twitter

So anyway, I joined this site called Twitter. Their concept is you can inform your friends as to the most mundane happenings in your life via the cellphone or web. If it's by way of cellphone, you just send Twitter a text and they post the update. If it's by way of the web, you just log onto their site and post an update. This is fine,I suppose, but my first thought was, "Who cares what I'm doing? It's not as though I'm sitting around wondering what you had for dinner, or what you're doing this very moment. And if I was, I'd call. Then you could tell me how creepy it is that I asked."

Listen, this service, Twitter, answers a clamoring from all of us for peak or unusual experiences. We seek these out because the majority of our lives are banal, mundane, boring,quotidian, and plebeian. And we think our lives have to be more than this; supposed to be more than this. So we look to others to not only see what else we could be doing, but to also vicariously live another person's unusual experience. But 90 percent of life is banal, mundane, boring, quotidian, and plebeian. So if you sit around waiting for a peak experience or that "rush," you're going to wake up one day staring into your colostomy bag wondering where the hell your life went to. The answer is it happened while you weren't paying attention to it.

So the way I see it is pay attention to the little everyday experiences that you have. Really pay attention to your life. It's much shorter and fleeting than any of us normally contemplate. But in the meantime, I'm going to fuck around on Twitter. It's to the left of the page. Look for yourself. I ain't making it up.

No comments: