Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Life is a Soap Opera


As it turns out, I haven't written a post in over a year. Not that it matters. I have found life moves at a glacial pace; think soap operas. Not that I watch them day after day, but I have deigned myself in the distant past. What never ceased to amuse, besides the absurd story lines and acting, is that nothing changed. You can stop watching for a bit, but when you tune back in there are no significant changes. The characters are still doing the same ridiculous things they were doing when you last watched. Of course there are minor changes, but not so much that you feel as though you missed something. That's the way life is--same ol' same ol' with minor changes.

One such change is that Trevor, in a paroxysm of feigned altruism, joined the Peace Corps. Feigned because Trevor joined with the idea that it would make admission to a graduate program a little easier, and pad his resume. Not that he really cared to help the indigenous, impoverished people of Georgia. I'm sure they will miss Trevor because the Russians abbreviated his stay when they started dropping bombs. Yeah, bombs have a way of changing your mind about a lot of shit, or so it's been said. However it goes, he got a new wife and all the supposed perks out of the deal. Supposed because it remains to be seen how much easier the admission process is going to be for him. To me, he didn't need to go live in squalor and dodge shrapnel to gain admission, a reasonable person would think he's smart enough. He just doesn't believe he is. Oh well, he'll figure it out one of these days.

Another new thing is my phone. A little while ago I bought a Voyager. I bought it because it has a QWERTY keyboard, which makes it easier to blog from, check and respond to email, and screw around on the Internet while standing in line at the grocery store. I ain't making it up.

No comments: