Saturday, November 11, 2006

Fitness Magazines


I don't do deprivation. I don't care if it's emotional, spiritual, physical, or intellectual. Deprivation is for someone else. Oh, I know there were some religious sects that believed deprivation, self-flagellation and abnegation were the keys to their spiritual salvation. I don't subscribe to any of those theories. No, in general, I subscribe to a philosophy marked by debauchery and hedonism. The way I see things, I'm only going around once. No deprivation for me, thanks.

Nonetheless, I'm curious as to whether I can get a set of six-pack abs. You know the kind that are seen on the covers of magazines. But without the aid of Photoshop, or pharmaceuticals of a dubious nature (i.e. steroids).

So with that in mind, today I weighed myself, bought an Accumeasure and a measuring tape. So, here's the good, bad, and the ugly.

I weighed 223 pounds with a bodyfat measurement of 12 percent.My waist is 35.5." Oh, and I'm 6'2." I guess I should be losing somewhere between 1-2 pounds a week. In case that somehow matters to you.

Anyway, here's the goal. I want a body fat percentage of 4.9. If you're the inquisitive type, you might wonder how I settled on that number. Simple. I have never been that lean. I have approached it at 7.2, but never been below 5. Also, because intuition tells me that in order to have a serious set of abs, it's necessary to have a body fat measurement below five percent. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

So here's the deal, I'm going to diet and workout consistently until March 21, 2007. Then, we'll see where I am. That date sounds as though it's a long way off, but it's not. Not when you're trying to call bullshit on the fitness mag industry.

Well, I guess it's not so much trying to call bullshit, as it is challenging myself. But anyone that knows me, knows I would love to be able to say, "I did it without the aid of deprivation."

Oh and by the way, this isn't going to turn into a fitness blog. I'll mention my little experiment and all that pedestrian bullshit, but in the end you'll be subjected to my dramatizations of drunken nights, mental meanderings and just bullshit in general. So, I guess, nothing has really changed. I ain't making it up.

No comments: