Thursday, August 03, 2006

Uniforms


It's hilarious actually. Fashion, I'm talking about. We like to think that how we dress is an expression of our individuality, of our creativity. That through our own volition we have developed an amazing sense of personal style. Funny where you find entertainment.

We wear uniforms. Not the polyester brown McDonald's uniform, or the obnoxious blue and yellow uniforms of Blockbuster. But we wear uniforms, nonetheless. This morning, while sitting at a stop light listening to Shade 45, a group of five people crossed the street. Cargo shorts, t-shirt and flip-flops. You know you've seen that uniform. You probably own it. I do. I'll admit it. And this wasn't the only uniform that I saw today.

I took a walk in our neighborhood today. As I came up on Peaberry's Coffee house, I saw a table of three women. Capris, sleeveless shirts and obnoxiously large sunglasses. You know someone who has this uniform. You've seen it. But we say it's stylish. We don't call it a uniform. But that's what it is.

So here's your homework assignment. The next time you have to go to the store for some incidentals, or otherwise find yourself out and about, take note of the uniforms. I have a couple more in mind, but I want to see what others notice. Drop me a line. Let me know what uniforms you see in our cult of conformity. I'll revisit this later. I just sort of noticed it, and thought I would drop a hurried post.

No comments: